Friday, February 14, 2014

Dining with Royalty

We are currently reading one of the My Royal series, "Mary Queen of Scots". It is Mary's "supposed" diary from when she was aged 11 and living in France with the King, his family, and her Scottish BFF's (I am hip with the lingo peeps) who lived with her, the four Mary's. This book relates to our history program, Story of the World (Volume Three, Chptr 2), and simply expands a bit of information on Mary as a girl and gives the children a picture of how she may have lived during that time.
 
Both girls are really enjoying the diary and press me daily for another read. They are quite capable of reading it by themselves but for some reason they still really love it when I read to them. The good thing about reading these books out loud is that we can discuss certain situations, scenes and meanings so there is no misinterpretation of them. 
 
 
 
The book has affected them more than I realised. This is what I walked past in the school room late this afternoon. Milo, crackers, dips and brie and they even had Mozart playing in the background. Afternoon tea between the Queen of France and Queen of Spain apparently!
 

7 comments :

  1. Oh wow! That is a wonderful photo of your beautiful girls, Lisa! Just look at the expressions on their faces. Very royal! My girls have enjoyed some royal diary stories too. I'm not sure if they are the same ones as yours. I will have to look on the shelf. We never get too old for read alouds. We also love sharing the same book and discussing it as we go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely like to ham it up Sue!

      Those books are quite good. I think I enjoy them as much as the kids.

      Delete
  2. Look at those girls.. born to be royalty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny because my mother used to say that about me!!!

      Delete
    2. You know thinking about it, I suspect their personalities are a little like Prince William (responsible older sibling) and Prince Harry (mischevious younger sibling).

      Delete
  3. Tee hee! Your girls do make me smile. Definitely very regal!

    My son pulled me up on using "peeps" the other day (I was being ironic don't worry), said I was too old to say it. Honestly, this younger generation think they invented English. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have "totes" learnt nothing stops my girls from using the current jargon quicker than me using it!

      They also think they invented music. They redid a song a couple of years ago and I knew all the words; the kids at Guides thought I was so "hip" as they didn't realise it was one from my era in the first place. It was so funny!

      Delete

Pin It