Thursday, October 4, 2012

PUDDLES

Because I homeschool my girls I spend a lot, and I mean a lot, of time with my daughters.

There are times when I am in a rush or frustrated, or simply tired, when I need to remind myself to stop and look at things through their eyes, instead of forcing them to grow up, behave, and look through mine. Children see things that we adults often miss, and they also tend to keep things simple whereas, sometimes we can over-complicate things that really don't need to be that complicated.

I read this piece below recently, and thought it a great reminder of these things.

"When I look at sprouting daisies, I see weeds that are taking over my garden.
- My kids see flowers for Mum and a novelty necklace.

When I look at a grinning old drunk, I see a guy who smells and probably wants money, and I turn away.
- My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry much of a tune, so I sit self-consciously and just listen.
- My kids feel the beat, move their bodies, and sing out the words - and if they don't know the words, they make them up!

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it because it slows me down and mucks up my hair.
- My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

When I pray, I say thee and thou, bless this and bless that.
- My kids say "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight. And sorry, I don't want to go to heaven yet - Mum and Dad would miss me".

When I see a puddle I step around it, seeing only muddy shoes, dirty carpets and wet washing.
- My kids sit in it, seeing dams to build, rivers to cross and worms to play with.

Makes you wonder which is more important - what we teach our kids, or what they teach us?"    Author Unknown



The other day I got out of my car and noticed this puddle with a few rocks in it, not really that unusual around here, until I took a closer look. Some wee fairy  (Agent Smelly I suspect) had placed the rocks into a heart in the middle of the puddle. Each time I pass that little rock heart I smile. Thank goodness for little girls, ey!

Remember nothing will make your child happier than for you to join them in some of their adventures, even if we deem them to be a bit silly (and a little more work for us later on). So next time you see a puddle grab your kiddies hands and jump in it together! Those muddy and wet clothes will long be forgotten but the beautiful memory that you and your child will have just made will never be.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It